Saturday, March 22, 2008

Browser Preference

Craig Newmark has a post today about how more than 50% of people access his blog with Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape. I checked the Sitemeter for Carpe Diem, and it was only about 34% (see chart below). So I decided to check some other blogs.
For Greg Mankiw's blog, the percent is 58%:
For Marginal Revolution, the percentage is about 45%:
Assuming that browser preference might vary internationally, I checked the country shares. For CD, the U.S. share is 83.3%, Canada is second at 4.4%:
For Greg Mankiw's blog, the U.S. share is 71%, and Canada is #2 at 6%.

For Marginal Revolution, the U.S. share is 71%, and the U.K. is second at 7%.

Q: Is Firefox more popular in other countries than in the U.S.? (Note: I think the Sitemeter statistics go back over the most recent 500 visits, so the percentages change slightly over time.)

4 Comments:

At 3/22/2008 12:18 PM, Blogger VH said...

Mozilla Firefox user here...love the add-ons and security has improved. Firefox is not perfect but it's not Netscape either.

 
At 3/22/2008 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would guess it is because those other sites pull more college students than carpe diem... i am in college and all of my friends are on firefox while ive stuck with ie

 
At 3/22/2008 11:50 PM, Blogger Malachi said...

Firefox user here too.

This seems a good time to ask this question that I've wondered about. I love to read blogs from my cell phone. It's convenient, I always have it with.

But it's also a pain because few if any blogs are formatted for cell phones. Why not? They seem to me to be a media that's well suited for cell phone. They're mostly text after all. There certainly isn't any significant technical barriers. And, it probably wouldn't require any extra effort on the part of the blogger.

Why aren't there mobile versions of blogs available?

 
At 3/25/2008 4:07 AM, Blogger OBloodyHell said...

Don't ask me, I use Opera... but anyone with sense avoids IE like the plague it is -- take Outlook Express and IE off your computer and you've made yourself immune to something like 75% of the malware out there.

The only time I use IE is when I have to, such as for a reliable corporate website that I *need* to access for my own purposes (sales? forget it -- if you won't talk to Opera, "Talk to the hand")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home